What is foot reflexology?
Foot reflexology is a natural healing art based on the idea that there are reflex areas in the feet that correspond to every part of the body. In this way, it is a safe, natural and non-invasive therapy that is used to treat the whole body, rather than specific conditions. It is a form of therapeutic foot massage used as a preventative and holistic approach to health care.
Reflexology should never be used as a replacement for orthodox medicine as it is not classed as a medical treatment. While reflexology will benefit everyone in different ways, it is not meant to “cure” any specific ailment. Also, it should never be used to diagnose a medical condition and so, one should always seek the advice of a medically qualified doctor.
How is it performed? How does it work?
Internal body energy flows along energy lines that connect from the feet to the various parts of the body. The blockage of this energy is believed to cause discomfort in the body, eventually leading to disease. Foot reflexology is the act of using thumb, finger and hand techniques to perform a sequence of massage and pressure techniques to the feet. When the reflex points on the feet are stimulated, the body’s natural electric energy works along the nervous system, reflexology zones and meridians to clear any blockages. It also stimulates the “inner healing forces” within the body and the natural flow of energy.
What are the benefits of Foot Reflexology?
1. Relieves tension and stress
2. Encourages relaxation which in turn, results in the body automatically starting to repair itself.
3. Reinforces a sense of well-being physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. A sense of well-being permeates every aspect of the recipient.
4. Assists in relieving specific health problems. Foot reflexology cannot “cure any specific health problem but can assist with “healing” in some individuals.
5. Normalizes body function helping the body return to balance or homeostasis.
6. Improves nerve functioning & circulation throughout the body.
7. Supports healing by improving all of the body’s functions which encourages a more efficient natural healing process.
8. Speeds up elimination of waste products. This helps prevent the harmful build up of harmful toxin levels in the bowel, kidneys and liver.
9. Stimulates the release of endorphins which are feel-good hormones…also known as the body’s natural pain killers.
10. Restores the flow of internal energy which helps the body to rest and repair itself naturally. Blockages of this energy flow can result in discomfort and even disease.
Foot reflexology is an excellent choice for those looking for an alternative and preventative natural therapy. While there aren’t many clinical studies on the benefits of reflexology, there are many personal testimonials from those who have benefited from it.